Thursday, July 15, 2010

Pod city


Stripping the greenhouse and sending the plants outside for testing means I have to cut a lot of scapes before the pods mature. This is what I had about 3 weeks ago. I just put them in about 2 inches of water and let them mature. It gets kind of stinky but I dare not touch the pods for fear of losing the tags, so I just keep adding water as it evaporates. No germination problem at all doing it this way. This season have collected about 2000-2200 pods for me and will plant in the spring. It's nice to be able to make them in a controlled environment in the greenhouse in the spring - I can adjust the temps and keep the rain off and they're all close together - this summer has been so hot and the plants spread out all over the place outside, that it would have been difficult to make and collect seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment